Sexy Up Your Pizzelles
by Brian Patton
Look, I love a good, old fashioned plain pizzelle, simply dusted with a bit of powdered sugar, as much as anyone. However, for some extra specialness, it's super easy to sexy up these little mini buggers for a colorful, show stopping, tasty as hell presentation.
You can DIP 'EM!
- Melt about 3 ounces of your chocolate of choice and add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil to make it nice and shimmery. Dip your mini pizzelles into the chocolate to your desire, or spoon some over top if your bowl of chocolate isn't deep enough to dip.
- Place them on a parchment or wax paper lined plate or pan, and stash them in the freezer until ready to eat.
You can SPRINKLE 'EM!
- Head to your local baking supply shop and grab a colorful mix of sprinkles, sanding sugar, and whatever other cool little toppings they might have.
- Chop up your nuts of choice (almonds, peanuts, pistachios)
- Do the DIP 'EM thing as described above, and while the chocolate on the pizzelle is still wet, sprinkle the toppings to your heart's content.
You can ICE CREAM SANDWICH 'EM!
- Allow your ice cream of choice to soften slightly.
- Scoop out portions and place them on one pizzelle.
- Top with another pizzelle, and gently push down in the center to press into sandwich form. If it's not pushing down too easily, just wait until it thaws more, but not to a totally runny consistency. Sometimes the pizzelles will crack when pressing down, but it's not the end of the world, once you place them back in the freezer, they'll hold together. Once your sandwiches are made place them in the freezer until ready to eat.
- Another, safer option, is to take a full pint of completely frozen ice cream, and lay it on its side. Then, with a long, serrated bread knife, cut 1/2 inch rounds right through the carton. Then you can peel the carton off of each round. Now you'll have perfect discs (albeit slightly varying in size) to make sandwiches without the risk of cracking the pizzelles while pressing. One important note to this process, is to then let the ice cream melt slightly after you make the sandwiches so it kind of attaches to the pizzelles. Then pop in the freezer until ready to eat.
- For extra bonus points: After you refreeze the sandwiches, you can do the dipping and sprinkling process from the other tips.
I hope you enjoy the pizzelles and get super creative with them!